Monday 1 December 2008

Embrace The Dark!

I've just been for a walk round and about my local town.

At night that is.

And in my part of Wales a walk at night, even in a built up area means a walk in the dark.
The local council (Powys) have turned two out of three street lights off to save money.
And do you know what - it's brilliant!

We've read (well I have at least) plenty of articles in recent years about light pollution - well my local council is doing something about it!

We've heard plenty recently about the depleting natural resources of the planet - well my local council is doing something about it!

We've heard for many years about our money being wasted - well my local council is doing something about it! (£230,000 saved by turning the lights off to be exact).

You don't need so many street lights as we've been used to having - two out of three turned off is about the right level of light as far as I'm concerned.

We've become coddled pussy cat's.

We leave our boiling hot centrally heated houses and get into our stuffy heated cars and drive to our stuffy heated offices and then back into our stuffy heated cars and drive back to our boiling hot centrally heated houses - we've become detached from reality.

And of course we even expect it to be light at night!

Fill the world with lights eh?

Let's have no dark.

NO.

We are a part of the planet, like it or not.

The earth turns, it goes dark, get over it.

So get back to reality - and embrace the dark!

And well done of course to my local council!

No comments: