Sunday 21 February 2010

A Seemingly Unremarkable Field

I went up to Montgomery Castle on Thursday and took some photo's (next blog post), and one of the photo's was this one of an unremarkable field. This unremarkable field however, it turns out is the site of the Battle of Montgomery that took place in 1644.
The battle was between Royalists and Parliamentarians and cost the lives of about 700 people.
Amazingly despite living only 8 miles away (and my oldest daughter living just a few hundred yards from it) I'd never heard of this battle. This I thought was quite sad, that this field had been littered with the bodies of hundreds of our brave ancestors and people nowadays walk by it and even through it and have no idea of it's history.
Blood spilt for what?

9 comments:

Killara girl said...

wonderful photos Jim, thanks for sharing your part of the world with us!

CherryPie said...

Battle fields are very sad, but also very interesting. I find they give me much food for thought!

CherryPie said...

PS: Looking forward to the photos :-)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a stunning landscape shot, made even more so because of the historic event held there.
So much beauty, yet so much pain...

ADRIAN said...

Jim, I don't know why but battlefields and churches have the same effect on me. There seems to be a sense of peace about them. Very odd.

Elaine said...

Such a peaceful looking place to have been the scene of such tragedy. Very sad.

January Asia said...

We have passed along a blogging award to you. Please view this post on our blog:
http://caffeinatedglobe.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-101-award-bestowed-on-caffeinated.html

January Asia
Steven Hui

imac said...

Photos like this really is interesting as they can tell a story within them.

Thanks for your continued visits and comments.
A week in wales now showing on my blog.

Thud said...

Well worth a look when I get the chance.